Yoghurt Pie By Sunset Breeze Chefs
13 February 2017 Rocking Recipes
This is a great recipe to have on hand while on the island as you can easily find a good quality yoghurt. It uses cupboard ingredients you almost always have and it is quite cheap to put together. It is a great dessert as an alternative to the more fatty cheese cake and turn out fluffy and light.
1kg Greek Yoghurt (high fat content)
1 pack of Phyllo Pastry
10 eggs, separated
400g Sugar, split in half
Pinch of Salt
Grated Peel of 1 orange & 1 lemon
250g dried fruit – raisins, chopped apricots, dates etc.
100g melted butter fro brushing the Phyllo Pastry
1. Heat the oven to 170 degrees Celsius.
2. Take a pan almost the size of the oven pan but deeper. Grease the pan and cover with baking paper, including the walls. Layer 4 Phyllo sheets with melted butter in between.
3. Place the egg whites and salt in a mixer and whip until fluffy. Add the 200g of sugar and add to the egg whites, whip until glossy.
4. Place the egg yolks and sugar in mixer and whip until pale and fluffy. Add the vanilla and the grated peel and mix. Add the sieved cornflour and mix carefully until smooth. Add yoghurt and mix.
5. Mix the egg white mix with the egg yolk mix slowly using a spatula without removing too much air. This is important because the egg whites Re a leavening agent.
6. Pour 1/3 of the filling over the prepared Phyllo sheets. Sprinkle the dried fruit. Place another phyllo sheet and brush with melted butter. Add the other 1/3 of the filling, sprinkle dried fruit and cover with a phyllo sheet, brush it with butter. Add the last 1/3 of the filling, sprinkle with dried fruit.
7. Place in the oven for about 35 minutes, then turn the heat down to 160 and bake for another approximately 10 minutes, until the pie does not wobble too much.
8. Let the pie cool down and then slice!
I chose to sprinkle icing sugar for design more than anything! It keeps few days in an air tight container in the refrigerator. I actually prefer to serve it the second day.
Sunset Breeze Restaurant and Lounge